- : 1927
In the 10’s and 20’s, the stately Chandler line found favor with discerning middle class buyers looking for economical luxury. The company was founded in 1913 by Frederick C. Chandler, former designer for the Lozier Motor Car Co. He sought to impress buyers with vehicles that provided speed, comfort, elegance, and reliability. By 1923, Chandler was marketing his endurance-proven, six-cylinder engines as, The New Pikes Peak Motor, Built to Master a Mountain!. Indeed, the Chandler 288.6 cu.in. engines did excel in grueling hill climbs and long-distance contests.
The 1927 four-door Phaeton was delivered with innovative amenities such as: a windshield that could crank open to vent the car, a floor plunger to grease chassis points, sumptuous mohair seating, nickel-plated trim and extended rear seat compartment with plenty of leg room. Folding jump seats allowed seating for two more passengers. In their best year, 1927, Chandler sold over 20,000 cars. Unfortunately, this led to over-expansion, staggering debt, and finally, the sale of the company to Hupp Motor Car Co. in 1929.
Our relatively scarce Chandler was donated by Christy Fitzpatrick, in memory of the owner, her brother, General Robert A. Knauff. Christy, along with her brother Bob and their parents had visited the Aerodrome many times in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. Those memories along with the suggestion from Aerodrome pilot Brian Coughlin, inspired Christy and her family to donate the Chandler here, helping to keep Bob’s memory alive. The Chandler, beautifully restored by Bill Mantz and Bob Knauff was delivered to the Aerodrome during the Winter of 2014-15.
Click for more information about the Chandler Phaeton