The Indian Four design was developed and produced through the Great Depression until it was discontinued in 1942. The 1936-37 models saw a cylinder head modification that was expected to improve fuel vaporization and produce more power, however, it also produced a great deal of heat. This, along with a valvetrain that required regular adjustment, […]
The Indian Four evolved from the “Indian Ace”, a model that was produced for one year following the Indian company’s purchase of Ace Motor Corporation in 1927. The Four was designed by Arthur O. Lemon, the former Chief Engineer at Ace, who incorporated modifications such as trailing-link forks and quarter-elliptic leaf spring. Later the engine […]
Indian had at one time the largest motorcycle factory in the world. Starting in 1901 the Indian Company achieved fame prior to the First World War due to their great success at racing circuits around the globe. Advanced and sturdy designs insured their success for many years but changes on their board of directors led […]
The M1917 Light Tank was an American copy of the French Renault FT which was manufactured by three American companies during and after World War I, including Van Dorn Iron Works, Maxwell Motor Company and C. L. Best Company. The American M1917 tanks were made under a special license agreement with the Renault company of […]
The Aerodrome’s Armored Car started out its long life as an apple truck. All that remained of the vehicle by the 1960s was the chassis so it was modified to serve as an ambulance in our Sunday shows for many years. When we acquired our Columbia Ambulance the Maxwell was again modified, this time to […]
The Maxwell Runabout was introduced in 1908. It was recommended to “the doctor, lawyer, contractor, city and suburban salesman, builder, businessman; in fact to everyone whose needs not exceed economical, safe and speedy transportation for two.” The two-cylinder 14 HP model LD sold for $825. Later the Maxwell Company became part of the well-known Chrysler […]
From 1902 through 1922 Merkel enjoyed success with well-designed motorbikes and motorcycles using single cylinder and “V” twin engines up to 986 cc. Eventually Merkel was purchased by Indian and their doors were forever closed.
The Metz was advertised as the winner of the Glidden Tour. This tour was an eight-day competition of endurance over challenging terrain. The Metz was also known as the “Gearless Car” with “No clutch to slip – no gears to strip.” Under ordinary conditions a Metz driver could travel anywhere from 28 to 82 miles […]
The prototype for the Morgan Tricar was built in 1909 by H.S.F. Morgan. He used the V-twin engine from a wrecked Peugeot motorcycle. Morgan three-wheelers were built up until 1948 when the supply of V-twin engines was exhausted.
William Dowd Packard and James Ward Packard (brothers) built the first Packard in Warren, Ohio in 1899. Eventually they became known as producers of luxury cars. The Aerodrome’s Packard Moving van played a small role in the movie “The Night they Raided Minsky’s” starring Jason Robards, Britt Ekland and Elliot Gould in 1968.